14 Reasons Why Fair Trade Jewelry Makes the World A Better Place
“There are so many reasons to purchase fair trade jewelry, or fair trade chocolate, or coffee – fair trade anything for that matter.
Fair trade is a movement that ensures producers of goods in underdeveloped or less privileged countries receive pay for their hard labor. In many instances that aren’t fair trade, the cost of exporting is so high and the levels of marketing so dense, that there is no money leftover to pay the people who actually make the product. How unfair!
However, many ethical fashion, food and material fair trade brands exist to provide well-deserved scholarships, education, money, healthcare, or shelter to the talented folk who hand-make eye-catching, tasteful products. Fair trade certainly makes the world a better place, and here are a few more reasons (other than the gorgeous, unique styles) why you should adore fair trade jewelry:
1. Each piece of jewelry purchased supports a woman, child or man in need. For example, Purpose Jewelry’s proceeds go directly to International Sanctuary to benefit survivors of sex trafficking. The survivors hand-make the jewelry; you invest in and enjoy a piece you love, while simultaneously doing good in the world.
2. Standards have been set to guarantee that the jewelry artisans involved with fair trade companies make profits, unlike some circumstances where artists have to compromise so much that they barely make a living.
3. People in need are often undereducated and have very few skills, though are not without ideas. With fair trade, they are able to create beautifully styled jewelry in addition to getting access to education, scholarships, and opportunities to create better lives for themselves.
4. With many fair trade brands, when you purchase an item, you are also providing something in return, be it education, vision, healthcare, and more, depending on the company.
5. There are fair trade license fees, which are then given back to each fair trade community to determine where in the world needs to be benefited the most, which the money is then put towards. The whole system is designed to make sure that workers are compensated fairly.
6. Child and slave labor is strictly forbidden when it comes to fair trade, so you can wear your arm candy without the fear that someone was pressured to design it when they should have been in school or just being a kid.
7. Fair trade promotes honesty and integrity to ensure that the safest and most ethical practices are in place; unfortunately many current international trading rules enable the exploitation of people and countries in need. Fair trade provides a safer and healthier work environment.
8. Products that are fair trade certified don’t use any genetically modified materials - hence your bling is environmentally friendly and sustainable, leaving little footprint of waste, water and energy!
9. Say goodbye to the more mass-produced jewelry! Fair trade typically results in handmade, unique goods, so it’s doubtful that anyone else at your office will have the exact same necklace as you.
10. Doesn’t it feel better to purchase something for yourself or a friend knowing you are helping more than a cute outfit? Today, there are a variety of fair trade jewelry brands you can choose from.
11. Fair trade jewelry is typically better quality, since artisans take pride in their work and individually hand-make each piece.
12. Fair trade enhances entire communities, since the money you pay for your new jewelry will greatly benefit the workers who made it, allowing them to gain education, housing, healthcare, and more. This not only helps the artisans, but their families and community as well.
13. Fair trade reduces the middleman, so more of the profits go towards the artisans, who can then invest their hard-earned money into their families and communities.
14. Since the artisans making the jewelry are typically in a different country, purchasing a fair trade item allows you to learn about a new culture and know more about the world you live in. Hearing the stories of others will inspire you to be more aware and appreciative of your own life.
There are nearly a million reasons why fair trade jewelry makes the world a better place; just think about how many people’s lives you directly affect by making a purposeful purchase. The next time an outfit calls for a little more sparkle, check out one of the many fair trade jewelry options and choose something that will make you smile, knowing you are having a direct positive impact on someone else”.